Sunday 4 March 2012

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Everneath (Everneath, #1)Reviewed by Gina
Date Read: February 12th, 2012
Date Published: January 24th, 2012
Publishers: Simon & Schuster UK
Format: Paperback
Pages: 384
Blurb: Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.
She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.
Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen. As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

Review: Once I saw this cover I knew I had to read the blurb which sounded really interesting. I love Greek mythology so any book related to any Greek myths I must have! There’s a kinda love triangle and I really liked it but for some reason I didn’t love in like some others I’ve read.

Nikki Beckett has just re-Surfaced after spending six months in the Everneath with Cole, the immortal who took her there. But now that Nikki has joined her friends and family she has six months to say goodbye before the tunnels take her to a dark place where she will no longer feel a thing, where she will help keep the Everneath running, like a battery. Nikki is trying hard to reconnect with her old life but there is one person she must reconnect with the most, Jack her boyfriend. He is the person who kept her alive all those months and she doesn’t want to lose him. But Cole is determined to have her join him in the Everneath as one of the Everliving, what Cole is, but she can’t leave yet. She needs help to find the answers she is looking for and Jack is willing to help. But when time is counting down what words do you use to tell someone goodbye...for Ever?

Once I finished this I thought about it for a little while. Overall the story was good and the characters were enjoyable but I felt it lacking in something. I don’t really think it was as much of a Greek retelling as some books I’ve read. It was changed too much for me but I enjoyed the new concept. I must admit that jumping between the past and present did confuse me to start with but I liked seeing the two parts.

Nikki was a great character, even if she is depressed at the beginning of the book but who wouldn’t be? But as time goes on in the book she gets stronger and looks to Jack for warmth and safety. Jack was sweet and would do anything to help her even if it gets him in trouble. And the fact that he never stopped loving her shows how strong their love really is. Cole on the other hand....I didn’t know what to think of him. Sometimes he was okay and other times I just wanted to smack him. Overall he wasn’t a nice character.

I loved the Idea of the story and using people as Forfeits to help the Everlivings, the immortals, survive. I liked what Brodi did by creating the Daughters of Persephone and I am intrigued as to what will happen later in the series. And that ending....I had tears in my eyes and it is such a big cliff-hanger. I will be on the look out for the next book. But hopefully next time it will stay in the present a lot more. It doesn’t take a lot to confuse me.

Rating: 4 stars!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment