Friday 23 November 2012

Review: Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris

Unravelling (Unravelling, #1)Date Read: August 2nd, 2012
Date Published: June 7th, 2012
Publishers: Harper Collins
Format: Paperback
Pages: 445
Blurb: 24 meets the X Files in the biggest teen blockbuster of the summer…

STOP THE COUNTDOWN. SAVE THE WORLD…

Leaving the beach, seventeen-year-old Janelle Tenner is hit head on by a pickup truck.

And killed.

Then Ben Michaels, resident stoner, is leaning over her. And even though it isn’t possible, she knows Ben somehow brought her back to life…

Meanwhile, Janelle’s father, a special agent for the FBI, starts working on a case that seems strangely connected to Ben. Digging in his files, Janelle finds a mysterious device – one that seems to be counting down to something that will happen in 23 days and 10 hours time.

That something? It might just be the end of the world. And if Janelle wants to stop it, she’s going to need to uncover Ben’s secrets – and keep from falling in love with him in the process…


Review:
This book is just amazing and unique. I don’t think any other words would work well enough for this book. I just fell in love with the blurb and from the start of the book I wanted to know more. The pages drew me in and never let me go until the last word. I LOVED the sci-fi twist because I am a massive sci-fi fan. I guess that is also what makes it awesome. And the fact that it includes talk about crime and the FBI as I like the CSI and Criminal Minds shows as well.

When Janelle Tenner is hit by a truck she knows she is dead because she feels it. But when her eyes open she sees Ben Michaels leaning over her and she realises he may have something to do with her coming back. She needs to know what he did and how but he won’t tell. She’s never even spoken to him before now. But when strange things start happened with her dad’s new FBI case she knows something is wrong. People are turning up dead and burned by radiation. A note is left saying something that Janelle must figure out. There are only 23 days left before the world ends and she has to stop it.

This book was intense and awesome. This is something new and interesting and Norris is a great writer. She knows how to make you feel happy, angry and sad all within a few chapters. She even brought me nearly to tears at one part. She knows how to create great action scenes and a tense atmosphere by making chapters short and showing the count down getting shorter and shorter. I think this may even be one of my favourites for 2012.

Not only is the actual idea great but the characters are pretty top-notch too! Janelle was an awesome heroine because she was funny, witty and made me feel for her. I understood her and her ways and I got why she felt what she felt in this book. She is a strong character and won’t let anyone boss her about (pretty much like me). He dad is pretty cool as well and he has a strong influence over her. She wants to be the hero and she becomes one.

Ben...I loved him. He’s the stoner, or so his label says he is, but he is much more than that. He’s smart, funny and super cute because he cares for Janelle. His secret is great and contributes a lot to the story. Janelle and Ben have a great connection and I’m rooting for them. But not only were the main characters amazing but the others were just as good. Elijah and Reid, who are Ben’s friends, were different and interesting but it was Alex that I loved, who is Janelle’s best friend. He had me laughing lots and later in the book when a major event happens you know, deep down, that you didn’t see it coming. That when you think it through you wouldn’t have seen it.

The ending of this book....heart wrenching but also awesome. I felt like I wanted to cry at the same time and smile because it set up the next book perfectly but made me what things to end differently. I’ve loved reading this book and I enjoyed it so much. It was a journey and I look forward to the next one.

1 comments:

  1. I am dying to read this book! It looks amazing and I loved your review! Maybe I'll put this one on my Christmas list!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete