Saturday 24 December 2011

Matched by Ally Condie

MatchedReviewed by Gina
Date Read: 24th December, 2011
Date Published: 2nd June, 2011
Blurb: Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.
The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


Review: I’ve seen a lot of reviews of this book and I’ve seen that people either love it or hate it. I happened to really like this book. Honestly, I didn’t expect much from this but I was surprised. I loved the idea and I’m excited to read more of it.

Cassia’s world is ruled by a society that controls everything. What they eat, where they work, what clothes they wear, who lives where and who they fall in love with. Cassia is matched with her best friend Xander but when she slips a microcard into a port that will show information on her match there is a face on the screen and it isn’t Xander’s. It’s Ky Markham and Cassia is left wondering what she should do. Should she follow the rules she has known all her life or should she leave the life she knows and decide for herself once and for all.

I may not have connected with the characters as much as other characters (which is why I dropped a star/a half) but I loved the idea and it was interesting. It was a little dull in places but over all I liked it and I’m intrigued to find out what happens to Cassia and Ky.

I think the best scene was the beginning at the Match Banquet and after that it slowed down a bit until the end. The writing wasn’t amazing but overall this book was unique compared to other Dystopian novels. I can’t wait to read Crossed. 3.5/4 stars!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment