Monday 14 November 2011

Born at Midnight by C. C. Hunter

Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)Reviewed by Katie
Date Published: 29th March, 2011
Date Read: 12th November, 2011
Blurb: One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever.  Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.”  Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world. 
Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either.  Or does she?  They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason.  As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas.  Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past.  Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart. 
Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…




Review: I've been wanting Born at Midnight for such a long time, so when I finally got my hands on a copy I was so thrilled! Once I got the book, I read it as soon as I finished the previous book I was reading, and I can tell you, I wasn't diappointed at all.


Derek was a great character and I was drawn to him instantly because of his funniness (is that a word?) and his charms. I just love him!

Lucas was also another love interest for Kylie and I can see why, he's hot and gives off that bad boy edge. The ending has me intrigued about him and wanting know what the note says. Was quite peed when the novel ended, not knowing what it said! :(

Anyway, such a great ending, I can't wait to see what's installed for us in Awake at Dawn, I can't wait to get my hands on that one too, - dang, I can't wait to get my hands on Taken at Dusk and it's not even published yet!!!

But the question for me is, am I Team Derek or Team Lucas? I can't decide!As I've said, I enjoyed reading this novel and one of the reasons was because of the charcaters. I'm glad that the main character was vulnerable but also strong. She was uncertain about herself, trying to prove she wasn't a supernatural and keeping in mind, her Nana had recently died, her parents divorcing, her boyfriend; Trey breaking up with her and seeing a ghost whom she has named Solider Dude. Tough life for Kylie, but I like how C.C Hunter managed to balance all of her problems out, so one part wasn't focused more than the other. It was all equal! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow the characters sound fabulous! I gotta pick this book up asap. Great review :)

    Team Derek or Lucas...hmmm...I'll tell you when I'm done the book!

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, it's Katie from Fantasia Books!

    Yeah, the characters are amazing, you must read this!

    Throughout reading Born at Midnight I was drawn to Derek when he was present, but when Lucas was present I was drawn to him. But when it came to the end of the book, I was torn! Good luck at deciding, I'm still finding it hard to choose!

    ReplyDelete