Monday 19 September 2011

Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Fury (The Fury Trilogy #1) Reviewed by Gina
Date Published: September 1st, 2011
Date Read: September 19th, 2011
Blurb: It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...

Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.

Em and Chase have been chosen
Review: I thought that this book was an entertaining read and kept me turning the pages to see what would happen. Elizabeth's style of writing was really good and she got me guessing at some points. Sometimes the book was so intense that i found myself holding my breath.

But considering this is a paranormal young adult book, it actually didn't have that much paranormal in it. Of course there were the Furies (known to some of us through Greek Mythology - I for one had a little bit of knowledge on them before starting the book). I feel that because we only had snippets of the Furies every so often, it made it seem that I was reading a contemporary novel (not that that's a bad thing btw). I would have preferred to have some more scenes with them in.

I liked the character of Em - even though i thought she was pretty stupid kissing her best friend's boyfirend - but i feel that she didn't deserve what she got at the end and I hope that she kicks the Furies ass' in the next book! I found that I understood Em and felt for her.
Chase was good aswell and his story was quite shocking, especially when i found out about why Sasha (the girl in the prologue) jumped off of the 'Piss Pass'.

The plot for this book was good but i hope that in the next one there will be more supernatural scenes. And I really want Em and JD to get together. That I do want to happen!!
Overall this book was good and I'm glad I picked it up off of the shelves to buy. I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves the greek mythology stuff (even though there isn't much in this book) but I feel that this series could have potential. Give it a go! I'm giving this 4 stars!!

1 comments:

  1. Elizabeth Miles has created a foreboding, atmospheric story that will make you think twice about your actions. Fury is told from the points of view of both transgressors, Em and Chase. Miles writes well from both perspectives, creating a well-rounded world in this tiny Maine town and keeping the plot moving at a good pace. Both characters are wonderfully complicated--Chase desires to be talented and successful, and is ashamed of his background, which drives him to do things he isn't always proud of.

    ReplyDelete