Monday 12 September 2011

The Forest of Hands & Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Reviewed by Gina
Date Published: March 1st, 2010
Date Finished: September 4th, 2011
Blurb: In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?


Review: This book blew me away. it made me smile sometimes, i was scared for them, i held my breath waiting for the next bad thing to happen and i even cried when Travis died and became an unconsecrated (and i never cry so it shows how much of an impact this book had on me as a reader).
I've never read a book quite like this and it was a refreshing read. Carrie's writing just drew me in and i felt like i was living Mary's life and seeing everything as she sees it. I wasn't just reading this book, i was living it!

I thought that mary as a character was interesting and the problems that surrounded her kept me intrigued, even when she went into the sisterhood. It was good to read about a character who wasn't always obsessing over the guy she loves and who wanted to believe in something bigger, like reaching the ocean. The friends and family that surrounded her helped her make the decisions that changed her life.

i found the place it was set in, The forest of hands and teeth village, very intriguing and i loved reading about the paths and gates that they took to make their escape. Then the village that they went to (with a whole lot of unconsecrated)was great to read about. Especially the houses in the trees that whad bridges between them.
It was so tense when the unconsecrated broke into Travis and Mary's house and i found myself holding my breath to find out what happened.

The fire that happened even later was such a shock to my system. Especially what followed.
The death of Travis was so sad and i found myself actually crying for Mary because i felt her feelings as my own. That rarely happens to me and it shows how great this book really is. Then I couldn't quite believe it when jed fell into the river from the canyon and Mary washed up on the beach by herself.
She lost everything to get there but i have a feeling that we might see Jed again.

Overall this book was a great read and i thoroughly enjoyed it. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book, the dead-tossed waves, and i am excited to see what happens next in Mary's story :) I'm giving this 9.5/10!! As close to perfection as a novel can get :D 5 stars!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment